Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Carmel Day 2- Fairy Tale houses

The rest of the California doesn’t have those kind of houses, at least,how much I’ve seen. To my knowledge, almost all the houses are same through out California, with some Spanish style houses in upscale Santa Barbara. 





However, the houses I'd seen in Carmel , all were different, apart from very few extremely modern houses. All the chimneys were not straight, rather they had their own distinct style. They looked liked , as if it was built it hurry, so the workmen could keep the symmetry.The shapes were somewhat crooked. It reminded me one of my childhood rhyme, "The Crooked Man".



 It seemed that, like the fairy the houses were built whatever came in the hand. None of the roofs was straight cone. It looked that they also couldn't keep it straight while building the houses. Moreover, the creepers on all the sides of those houses gave a feeling that any time I could see a fairy was sitting on the swing. I’m not really exaggerating at all. Really I felt that so. Every house I visited I felt to sit in the porch with beautiful teacup in hand with some beautiful ladies.  

 

Anyway, those English fair tale cottages  were designed by one man, named Hugh Comstock. Once he came to visit his sister and brother in law in Carmel, and fell in love with a doll maker. Later they married. His wife requested him to build a house to keep her dolls . Without any prior experience he built one cottage inspired by fairy tale illustration, and named the cottage Hansel. Soon, the residents wanted their own fairytale cottages. And whole Carmel came up with different cottages. 



As the area is hilly, and full of greens, and  amid big trees those houses got a totally different look. I had been telling Mr. Man, that those houses couldn’t be that much beautiful without those beautiful green trees


When we visited the visitor center we got a list of fair tale houses from there. We found that the houses were very  near to our inn. So, while coming back to the inn, we went to see the cottages. After seeing all similar houses , those houses really gave a feeling of difference. Like a child we tried to take glimpse of the cottages through the fence and big trees.


Though I'm sharing some pictures, but I couldn't do justice to the beauty with my cell phone camera.



....to be continued

26 comments:

Betsy said...

So glad you are continuing because I totally love seeing homes like these unique beauties.

DIMI said...

Hello dear Krishna!
Wow!Such beautiful houses!
Lovely pictures!
I love cottage houses!
Thank you for sharing!
Have a nice day!
Dimi...

mamasmercantile said...

Tey look amazing, beautiful houses.

Daniela said...

Oh, these are truly fairytales houses, I wonder how cozy they're inside, thank you for sharing them, Dearie!

Wishing you a most lovely remainder of your week

xoxo Dany

Ivana Mihalić said...

My dear, these houses are wonderful!!! Stunning places and lovely photos.
I like your post, it is very unusual and different. Very original. Love it!

Have a great day, sweetie. Kisses from Croatia :)

What's up, Ivy?
♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥
Instagram

Annie's Journal said...

I agree with you Krishna, that trees gives more beauty to the houses and makes them look more old and established. I'm really enjoying your sharing of your blog post on all these interesting houses - thank you:) ...looking forward to the continuation!

karen said...

I could easily see myself living in any of those houses :) I love touring and looking at homes (inside and out) and daydream about what would it be like inside!

La Table De Nana said...

All beauties..I never knew they were due to one man!

Mac n' Janet said...

They do look like fairytale houses. Carmel is such a pretty and interesting place.

Irreplaceable_fashion said...

wow amazing photos:) I love it:)

Unknown said...

Hi! I see that you a fantastic blog!
I really like your design and that's how you write😊
I like to be in touch with so great and inspirational blogs. That why i wanted ask
follow for follow?

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Hello Krishna!
I love to see architecture, houses and gardens.
Your relationship is beautiful.
Kisses and Greetings ♥♥♥
Lucja

Lisa said...

Oh wow, the houses are all so beautiful!! They do look like they are straight out of the pages of fairy tales!! What a gorgeous place!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Anajá Schmitz said...

Linda casa, parece um castelo de sonhos.
Feliz 2018.

Beauty Unearthly said...

Great photos and amazing place!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Krishna. I just love those houses in Carmel. They are what dreams are made of! Thank you for your visit and no, I am not a fantastic cook. I have to follow a recipe to the word or nothing comes out right and, if you notice, nothing is very fancy, just plain old meat and potatoes..Happy Wednesday..Judy

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Darling homes and it's nice to know the background history. Thank you for sharing their beauty. ♥

JoJo said...

I am so enjoying your tour of Carmel!!!! One of the cutest places ever!

Reckless diary by Anya Dryagina said...

As usual very interesting! Thanks a lot for the post)
www.recklessdiary.ru

shwet said...

I love the old houses, they are always spacious than today's modern houses. Yea its true that they were not build with so much perfection. But they are like Fairy tale cottages.
Beautiful pictures.
https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

rita said...

Thank you dear..this post is beautiful
Have a nice day

white and vintage said...

So lovely houses. I like such old houses.
Have a nice weekend,
Christine

Luana said...

love it! very beautiful houses!

xoxo
Guria do Século Passado

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

How fortunate for Carmel that Mr. Comstock started the trend of building fairytale houses. They add so much character to the town.

Magic Love Crow said...

They are so beautiful and unique! Love them! Big Hugs!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Interesting fairy tale houses for sure! It would be fun to live there! Take care and have a great week!

Post a Comment