Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Chicken curry

The evenings always make me happy. After finishing all chores I sit down on the carpet of the living room with a big mug of tea, the Indian Chai in the early evening. It always gives me some inner peace. If somedays when I cannot do the same, I feel restless from inside. 


It was not exception few days back, when I sat on the carpet with the big mug, and the papers which my son brought back from school. I could hear the howling wind for inside. As I already drew the curtain, I didn’t know what exactly mother nature had been doing at that time. In the meantime I went to bed room, and looked outside through the bay window. I just stood there for few minutes, the picturesque view of the sky completely captivated me. It was just like huge blue-black umbrella had been covering the entire neighborhood. I was standing there, and thinking the childhood days when we used to enjoy the “Kalboishakhi”. 
“Kalboishkahi” is a type of sudden storm, usually comes in the April in Bengal, India. It always happens before the onset of summer, when the temperature starts soaring, and people feel restless. It always happens in the evening. All of a sudden the sky becomes dark, the cold wind starts blow, and then comes the rain, which usually stays for few minutes to half an hour , sometimes more. That sudden rain always make the weather cool, and let people sleep peacefully in the night. Now time has changed, we snick into air-conditioned room to get peaceful sleep. 
In the month of April, when sun starts showing no mercy, the mercury starts soaring up, we used to stare at the sky in the afternoon, whether the cloud had been accumulating on the Northeast direction (Ishan Kon, Ishan=northeast, Kon=angle or direction). Cloud is accumulating in that particular direction in the afternoon means, rain is certain.


Anyway, with that beautiful sky, we need some scrumptious food inside. So here comes the chicken curry in milk.

Two pounds boneless, skinless chicken (I used boneless breast), skinned and cut into medium sized pieces
Three fourth cup milk
One medium sized onion
One big tomato
Two-three cloves of garlic
One tsp. ginger paste
One tsp. cumin powder
One tsp. coriander powder
One tsp. garam masala powder
One tsp. paprika 
Salt to taste
Pinch of turmeric
One tbsp. , and half tsp. of oil
coriander leaves for garnishing
Cut the onion into big chunks. Peel the garlic cloves. Make a smooth paste of one-fourth cup milk, onion, garlic, ginger, cumin and coriander powder. Wash the chicken pieces. Take big bowl. Marinate the chicken with the paste, and salt. Keep aside for two hours. In the meantime cut the tomato into big chunks and make a smooth paste.
Take a pan. Heat one tbsp. of oil in medium. Fry the chicken pieces, and keep aside. Do not throw away the extra marination paste which is left in the bowl. In the same pan, heat another tsp of oil. Add garam masala powder, paprika, and just mix it. Add the tomato puree, and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add the left over marination, and again for two three minutes. Stir well, to avoid scorching at bottom of the pan. Then add the chicken pieces, add slat and turmeric powder. Mix everything well, and let it cook covering the pan. If you need add half cup or more water. Cook in medium heat until chicken pieces are tender, stirring occasionally. When the chicken is done, add rest of the milk, stir a little, and switch of the stove. Serve hot with steaming rice.



17 comments:

shwet said...

It really looks tempting!!
My Blog
Instagram
Bloglovin

Betsy said...

This sounds so good and curry is a spice I love. Will definitely try this recipe. I love sudden storms and I like it when it rains hard at night. It puts me right to sleep. Sweet nature sounds.

Annie's Journal said...

Your chicken curry brought memories of the curry dish our neighbour once made for us...it was very delicious. She added raisins to her chicken curry. I make curry at home once in a while but it is not authentic in taste. Thank you for sharing how to cook your curry - it looks delicious.

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

hmmm looks so delicious my friend :D loved it!

NEW TIPS POST | TIME TO SAY BYE BYE DARK SPOTS :O
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Irreplaceable_fashion said...

I love your recipes, thanks for sharing!:*

Elena M said...

Fantastic post! Kisses :)

https://elenabienvenido.blogspot.com.es/

mamasmercantile said...

Looks like a great recipe. I loved your description of the storm.

Beauty Unearthly said...

Looks delicious!!! Thank you for recipe :-)
xx

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks for describing the storm and for the recipe!! Big Hugs!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Krishna,
Wow, you make me 'taste' it as I read along here. Always loved all Indian curries and even got a bit addicted to them.
Wish we could go back for work but that time lies behind us, due to Pieter's age.
Always enjoyed it so much!
Hugs,
Mariette

Margaret D said...

Sounds really nice, the good thing is I have all those ingredients in my cupboard and fridge...

Home Chic Club said...

Looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
Would you like to follow each other? Let me know on my blog and I`ll follow back!
Vesna - Home Chic Club

rita said...

Very good.
Thank you so much

Home Chic Club said...

Following you back dear! Have a great weekend! xx

Prims By The Water said...

Looks yummy. TFS. We had ice and snow yesterday and this morning when the sun was rising the sky looked a dark grayish blue and the ice on the trees glistened. It was magical. Janice

Zujalica.ba said...

Beautiful ^_^
Thank you for sharing!

Have a nice weekend, dear!

DIMI said...

Wow!I love chicken curry!!
My favorite dish!
Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Have a happy March!
Dimi...

Post a Comment