Monday, April 2, 2018

Garbanzo bean curry

It was a Saturday, and I invited one my son’t friend and his family. His mother C is one of my very good friends, and I had been thinking of inviting them for dinner, but I somehow, I didn’t do that. So, finally I decided to invite them. That Saturday was St. Patrick’s Day , and Mr. Man was going to SFO. I asked him to take us with him , I wanted to watch the parade in city. That was a big mistake I made that day. My plan was to coming back around 2, and could come back at 4:30. Luckily I finished cooking in the morning. My only regret is I couldn’t make any sweet dishes. 


Anyway, C was very excited to come, as she wanted to see our home, after renovation. Her husband came a little later, and she was so excited, that she wanted to show her husband, all the renovation we did. We had a really good time, after a hectic. Her son J and my son played a lot. In fact my wanted a playdate with J. However, we couldn’t make it possible. Lastly my son stopped asking me to fix a playdate. So, those two enjoyed that evening most.  As C’s husband is Indian, and vegetarian, I mostly cooked Indian vegetarian dishes. Also I cooked chicken as she loves it.


Here I’m sharing one of those recipe.
Chhole (Garbanzo bean curry)
Three cups of soaked garbanzo bean (you can use canned garbanzo beans)
One medium sized onion
One medium sized tomato
One tsp. coriander seeds
One tsp cumin seeds
Half cup coconut powder
One tsp. garam masala powder
One tsp ginger paste
Two cloves of garlic
Three-four green cardamom
Three-four cloves
One  bay leaves
One dry 
Pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Pressure cook the garbanzo beans with two cups of water. If you are using canned garbanzo beans, then you don’t need this step, only drain the water. Finely chop onion, and garlic. Cut the tomato into chunks. Take a grinder Grind one tsp cumin, and one tsp coriander. Then add coconut powder, and grind again. Finally , add the tomato chunks and make a fine paste. In a pan heat oil in medium, add cardamom,cloves,and bay leaves. As fine aroma starts oozing, add the chopped onion. Fry the onion in medium heat, covering the pan, stirring occasionally, until slightly brown. Add ginger and garlic. You can add a little salt in the onion, so the onion will get soft quicker. When the onion becomes soft, add cumin power, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Then add the curry paste, and mix everything well. Let it cook in medium heat. Stir occasionally to avoid burn at the bottom of the pan. When oil starts oozing out, add the garbanzo beans, salt , and turmeric powder. Mix well, ands add one cup of water. Let cook until the gravy reaches desired consistency. Serve hot with steaming rice.
Serving size: 5



8 comments:

Svetlana said...

Very nice dish for Saturday!!

Beca said...

Sounds like you had good company and a nice weekend.
xx Beca

Luana said...

sounds like a great Saturday!
the food seems delicious!

xoxo
Guria do Século Passado

Julie said...

What a great parade for St Patricks Day Krishna. Your bean curry recipe sounds delicious.

Kathy Leonia said...

looks jummy:)

shwet said...

This choley seems very tempting!!Glad you had great time with them. I am sure they loved this.
My Blog | Instagram | Bloglovin

LianaLaurie said...

Great post, dear!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thank you for posting this recipe, it looks tasty. This is something that I would eat at a restaurant, but not be particularly inclined to make it home. Largely, I think, because I’ve never had a good recipe for it. I’m going to give this a try.

Post a Comment